Twitter masterclass 12 – best practices
A reminder of some best practices when using Twitter
- 1. Carefully craft your tweets More on content
- 2. Use hashtags effectively More on hashtags
- 3. Credit and link to other Twitterati More on linking
- 4. Only use good images, in the right format, and for which you have permission More on using images
- 5. Retweet! Don’t just like others’ tweets More on retweeting
- 6. Get organised – use a lists and a dashboard More here
- 7. Schedule key content so it is tweeted when you need it to go out
- 8. Tweet regularly if you want to gain followers
- 9. Follow others and their followers and lists to build your own following
- 10. Engage – conferences are a great place to start More on conference tweeting
- 11. Profile – make sure yours is up to scratch! More on how to improve your Twitter profile
Recent Twitter changes
Find us on . . .
More social media blogs and content from the BOU
How social are ornithologists? – an IBIS Viewpoint article
How social are ornithologists? – our NAOC2016 poster
How social is #NAOC2016? – a blog from NAOC2016
Let the BOU work for YOU . . altmetrics
Let the BOU work for YOU . . blogging
Let the BOU work for YOU . . on social media
The benefits of blogging about your research
What is Altmetric?
Making social media and the web work for you
Social media is relevant to your research
Presentations from the BOU’s ‘social media in ornithology’ workshop at #EOU2015
What do you mean you ‘don’t know how to optimize your paper for SEO?!
Twitter – building an online ornithological community
The global ornithological online community
Ornithological Twitterati, Tweetie-pies and #birdieluv
Twitter #masterclass 1 – #hashtags and retweets
Twitter #masterclass 2 – stop using auto-generated tweets
Twitter #masterclass 3 – editing and structuring your tweets
Twitter #masterclass 4 – organise your incoming tweets
Twitter #masterclass 5 – content is everything
Twitter #masterclass 6 – #hashtag best practice
Twitter #masterclass 7 – using images – best practice
Twitter #masterclass 8 – conference tweeting (for delegates, presenters and organisers)
Twitter #masterclass 9 – Twitter basics 1: terminology
Twitter #masterclass 10 – Twitter basics 2: replying to tweets
Twitter #masterclass 11 – Twitter basics 3: replying to tweets
About the author
Steve Dudley, the BOU’s Chief Operations Officer has run the BOU since 1997 and, amongst other things, is responsible for social media and communications.
More social media articles by Steve
Blog posts express the views of the individual author(s) and not those of the BOU.
Blog with #theBOUblog
If you want to write about your research in #theBOUblog, then please see here.